Since the human body is more than half made up of water, it makes since that almost all health professionals recommend staying hydrated as much as possible. Here are some common benefits that staying hydrated has:
- Your Workout Performance is Maximized.
- Staying hydrated has been shown to help maintain body temperature control, increase muscle movement, and may help to reduce the oxidative stress that happens during a hard workout.
- Brain Function and Energy Levels
- Multiple studies have indicated how a lack of hydration may actually impair brain functioning as well as mood, memory, and concentration.
- Headache treatment and prevention
- Dehydration may be the cause of your headache (among many other factors). So, drinking water may sometimes help alleviate or lessen the intensity and duration somewhat.
- Weight Loss and Management
- Staying hydrated not only helps boost your metabolic rate, it also helps to increase your satiety. Interestingly, timing is important to intake of water. In a study conducted looking at weight loss and water consumption, those who drank half a liter of water prior to a meal lost 44% more weight over a period of 12 weeks.
The bottom line is to try your best to stay hydrated throughout the day in order to maximize health benefits in every aspect of your life, in and out of the gym.